Steeped in history, the Mojave Road is roughly 130 miles of remote desert two-track; most of which lies within the Mojave National Preserve. In 1983, Nissan traversed this road with a group of automotive media to showcase their new 4×4 trucks. Forty years later, Gordinier Group was tasked by Nissan USA with recreating this iconic media drive.
In preparation for this two-night, three-day trip, our team worked diligently on all the details.
- Securing all filming/photography/event permits
- Outfitting all media, clients, and staff with camping gear
- Sourcing backcountry-capable chefs for meals on-trail and in camp
- Pre-running entire route to develop proper timing and logistics for the caravan
- Staffing a trail guide, trail support team as well as an advance team for camp set-up
- Supplying recovery gear, first aid, and communication assets (both GMRS and Satellite)
- Vehicle logistics for the duration of the event
Once on the Mojave Road, our team led a group of 10, 2023 Nissan Frontier Pro4X trucks. The media were treated to a narrated history of the road throughout the drive and fresh trail-side lunches. Along the way, the group posed for photos to recreate images taken on the original trip in 1983. Each night, upon arrival in camp, media guests were escorted to their pre-built tents to drop their gear and relax. Craft cocktails preceded a gourmet dinner with wine pairings provided by our friends from Overland Cookery. On day 2, vigilant monitoring of weather radar by our trail team enabled them to route the group around some inclement weather and get to camp safely. The trip was a complete success, and our media guests enjoyed an incredible experience in the desert.
In the end, our client could not have been happier. The following is a quote from a post-event email:
I want to thank you, Jeff, and the rest of the team for the outstanding work for the event. Your guys got things done before I even thought of them and made the trip much better for everyone. You guys weren’t very visible but made things happen in the background and it was great. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated the support.
Some great articles and videos that captured the moments of the Nissan Mojave Road adventure:
- Full article from GearJunkie – gearjunkie.com
- TFL Off Road: 130 Miles on The Mojave Trail – YouTube
- Autoblog: Nissan Frontier Pro-4X overlanding on the Mojave Road (autoblog.com)